By Cynthia Carter, Linda Steiner
* How is gender developed within the media?
* To what quantity do portrayals of gender impact daily perceptions of ourselves and our actions?
* In what methods do the media strengthen and occasionally problem gender inequalities?
Critical Readings: Media and Gender provides a full of life and interesting advent to the sector of media and gender examine, drawing from quite a lot of very important foreign scholarship. quite a few conceptual and methodological methods is used to discover topics resembling: leisure; information; grassroots verbal exchange; new media texts; associations; audiences. themes include:
* Gender id and tv speak shows
* ancient portrayals of ladies in advertising
* The sexualization of the preferred press
* The illustration of lesbians on television
* The cult of femininity in women's magazines
* pictures of African American ladies and Latinas in Hollywood cinema
* Sexual violence within the media
* girls in renowned music
* Pornography and masculine power
* Women's courting to the Internet.
This e-book is perfect for undergraduate classes in cultural and media reviews, gender reviews, the sociology of the media, mass verbal exchange, journalism, verbal exchange stories and politics.